Friday, April 15, 2022

Death Star Tiles Update

It's sometimes funny when the right moment happens where you find an excuse to dig up a project exactly 9 years old and give it a few days of work just for the fun of it.

While drawing 2D pixel art of Death Star surface tiles dates back even further, I started doing 3D renders of it back in 2013.

April 11, 2013 - Original six tiles derived from my old Kilk @ Play pixel art


April 21, 2015 - Textured except for one

Actually the very first post of this blog described the early Unity + Blender work I did on Project Starfighter. The original tile set was textured so I could use them in a procedurally generated Death Star surface. Ironically given my work at the Electronic Visualization Laboratory, the only tile I never finished modeling is the one on display at the lab..... until now:

April 12, 2022 - Starting detail work, one quad at a time


April 13, 2022 - Quad Two


April 14, 2022 - Quad Three


April 14, 2022 - Completed Tile


Of course now this tile is vastly more detailed than the other ones. Maybe too detailed for my needs, but it was a fun modeling exercise for a few days. Plus more 'greebles' to add to my digital library. Always fun to look into the craftsmanship that went into these old physical models - all the kitbashing and random parts clearly from model tanks, planes, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment