Thursday, February 18, 2016

Millennium Falcon 3D Model Part 2

For this modeling project, I'm continuing to use the Blender Project Timer extension to keep track of how many hours I've actively spent modeling this thing - although I won't be able to track the time spend working with the model in Unity.

AG-2G quad laser cannon: Jan 3, 2016
Passenger ramp door: Jan 3, 2016

Putting the pieces together: Jan 4, 2016

I suppose I'll also mention I typically have my Star Wars soundtracks on loop while I'm modeling. If I really want to be inspired, I'll be sure to jump to either 'Follow Me' or 'The Falcon' tracks from The Force Awakens.

Finishing up the starboard panels: Jan 8, 2016
Detailing up the starboard panels: Jan 9, 2016
Replacing the previously mirrored textures on the port side: Jan. 9, 2016
Millennium Falcon Cockpit after 33 hours: Jan. 9, 2016
Entrance corridor lighting test: Jan 9, 2016
Turret ladder: Jan 10, 2016

Landing Gears: Jan 10, 2016

Passenger Lounge: Jan 10, 2016
With the addition of the passenger lounge, I'm really beginning to tackle the usual challenges of modeling the Millennium Falcon - the interior sets are too large to fit in the exterior ship model. At least with the original film Enterprise I didn't have to worry about that too much (The one exception being the Klingon bridge from The Motion Picture redressed to be the Enterprise torpedo bay). Although the 2009 Star Trek monstrosity of a starship is worse mess in terms of scaling.

Passenger boarding ramp: Jan 10, 2016
The boarding ramp is still a bit of a mess. The ramp is steeper than it should be, but if I made it any more level, I wouldn't be able to fit the corridor around the turret column.

Nearly complete cockpit wall detail - 42 hours: Jan 12, 2016
Starting the dashboard: Jan 13, 2016
Control levers: Jan 13, 2016

By this point I was having some doubts of how I was modeling the dashboard. Unlike the cockpit and exterior shape, I was having difficulty finding the dimensions of the console. After some visual testing in CAVE2, I eventually found an existing accurate 1:1 scale model of the dashboard which was commonly used for physical 1:1 scale replicas of the Millennium Falcon cockpit.

Turret testing: Jan 15, 2016
I took a break from modeling for a bit while I was mulling over the potential scaling issue with the interior cockpit. Using some of the same code from my previous starfighter tests, I also refined the targeting computer display which my X-Wing used.

Starboard docking port: Jan 22, 2016
There's been some debate over what these things on the side of the Falcon are. Typically listed as either docking ports or the escape pods. I went with docking ports for multiple reasons: 1) Several escape pods were jettisoned before the Falcon was captured by the Death Star in A New Hope and the exterior looks the same. 2) The Ghost in Star Wars: Rebels typically docks in space using similar looking attachments. 3) I managed to design the interior of the passenger ramp to work as a corridor to the docking port. 4) Later found out The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Sections also labels them docking ports. Although the YT-1300 is known for its customization options so they could be either depending on the configuration.

Lounge progress: Jan 23, 2016

Rough mapping of the remaining interior space: Jan 23, 2016

More on the revision of the cockpit scaling in part 3.

1 comment: